Skip to main content

Review Ramblings and a Belated Friday Freebie

Happy Friday Saturday!  Sorry this post is late, but I got my laptop in the mail yesterday!  Yay!  I couldn't wait to turn it on and start to learn how to use the new Windows 8, which (as you could have predicted) was an exercise in utter frustration.  Why are you only able to properly install Google Chrome through the desktop rather than the Start Screen?  Why isn't there a Facebook or Pinterest app for Windows 8?  And why is Google Chrome insisting that the Forever 21 website is in Dutch?  :)

Anyways, this week our theme was Week in Review.  I decided we were going to carry on with Thanksgiving a bit, rather than spend one day for each theme we had this month.  I had several kids absent last week due to sickness or vacation, so it worked out pretty well.  I also integrated nutrition and the five senses back in, but in the context of Thanksgiving dinner!

We started the week by sharing our Thanksgivings (which was a lengthy process and involved some very interesting information, including aliens and make-believe road trips!)  Then we turned the topic of discussion around to Thanksgiving dinner.  One of our first shared writings this week was to record what we ate for Thanksgiving dinner.  The next day, we went through our list and labeled each food as either Green Light, Yellow Light, or Red Light.


We had a blast this week with shucking corn.  My kiddos were fascinated!  None of them had ever shucked corn before, so I let them de-husk ears of corn and explore it with their senses.  It was so messy but so awesome.  :)  We compiled what we discovered in a shared writing (e.g. yellow, hard, bumpy) and then painted with the corn during art.


We also read this cute "Five Little Turkeys" poem.  We spent some time with this poem.  With my highest group we focused on finding the rhyming words and generating more rhyming words; my lower groups focused on more letter T awareness and tried to find all the upper and lowercase T's in the poem.


The next day we read the poem again and practiced visualizing what was happening as I read it, and then they illustrated it in their poetry journals.


During math this week we focused on recognizing various 2D shapes with different orientations (e.g. upside down, sideways, etc).  We also played "Go Shapes," a 2D shape version of Go Fish that is included in our math curriculum.


We also did some number review by coloring the adorable color by number turkeys from Kinder Craze, which you can download for free by clicking here!


And now for my belated Friday freebie!  For our morning brain break this week, we sang this cute Thankerchief song while passing around a bandanna.  It was a great way to start the morning and I loved hearing what my kiddos shared (God, kitties, brothers and sisters, etc).  Click on the picture for the freebie.


Happy December everyone!  I can't wait to see what everyone's doing in their classrooms for winter and Christmas!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Customs & Belated Friday Freebies

Saturday is here and Christmas Break has begun!  Well, in my case it's a 4 day weekend, but I'll take it.  I confess I am very jealous of my peers right now that get a two week break.  But I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas and a good break, and I can't wait to see the exciting stuff you create!  :) What a busy week it has been!  Between practicing for the Holiday Song Program, doing the Holiday Song Program, recovering from the Holiday Song Program, I'm not sure how we accomplished anything at all!  But accomplish we did, and largely thanks to you, my wonderful fellow blogger teachers!  I am so thankful for the great resources you make and share, they were a lifesaver this week for sure!  Here's a look at our week of Holiday Customs Around the World: Art Snowflake Craft Stick Ornaments (Parent Gift) These turned out so great!  I poured some craft (tacky) glue a bowl and they used Q-tips to place glue onto their gemstones.  Then, they put

There's No Place Like Space: Outer Space Adventures & Friday Freebie

TGIF!!!  What a week!  I absolutely adored seeing my kiddos learn about space, but this week was a toughie.  Sick and tired kiddos do not make for a happy class.  Everything kept going the wrong way: food spilled on the newly cleaned carpets, bloody noses on the newly cleaned carpets, bathroom accidents during the middle of centers, pink-eye working its' way around the room, forgotten materials at home, the printer at FedEx Office went haywire and messed up my play-doh mats, the copy machine at work broke, I broke the side mirror of my car coming out of the garage... Yikes!  I was seriously scared to leave my house this morning!  :)  So here's hoping the stars re-align this weekend and my class comes back rockin' and rollin' and ready to learn on Monday! With all that being said, it was still a fun and jam-packed week.  I loved overhearing one of my kiddos tell his parent, "Mom, did you know the sun is ACTUALLY a star?!?!"  And I got to test out another

Families & Freebies on a Friday... err... Monday!

Happy Friday !  Er, Monday?  Well, originally I was going to post this on Friday but I had no time (big surprise, right?) so here it is on Monday!  Here's a peek at our fun Families unit from last week, with a few freebies for my bloggy family!  :) Art: George Washington Color by Number Many thanks to Maria at Kinder-Craze for this great freebie!  On Tuesday we learned a little bit about what a President does and why we celebrate President's Day.  Pick up Maria's great freebie at her blog by clicking here . Paper Bag Houses Love how these houses turned out!   Family Trees Some of my kiddos were even able to write most of the names on their family tree! Magazine Family Hunt Are you ready for your first freebie?  Click on the picture to grab your own copy of this fun family magazine picture hunt!  The kiddos cut out pictures of people in magazines and placed them in the category they thought fit: mommies/daddies, grandmas/grandpas